Jan Coffey wrote:
--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You know, I voluntere on a regular basis for psitions which might place me in
danger and might have a significant benifit for others. (Floor safty warden
at work for instance) I don't think I once considered glorification or
reward.

So you wouldn't feel rewarded with a perfect safety record?

I also do not beleive that any of my associates consider this either.
I know that if I had been in the position of the gentalman in question, I
would have felt -responsible- for the lives of those people who didn't know.
I would have continued as long as possible becouse of duty and responsability
rather than a desire for fame, social status, or reward. It is actualy...
shifted down, I would have felt guilty if I hadn't, I would not have been
able to live with myself. What I really don't understand is how anyone else
could be any different. In my experiance they are not, so I will have to
disagree with you.

But even if your only reward is that you performed your duty, that is still a reward of sorts. And why is it your duty? Because your duty is an example of cooperative behavior and we have learned that cooperative behavior is successful.

Doug