From: "Michael Harney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I wanted to ask those who have read some/many of the Pern novels a question.
I have only read _Dragonseye_ and _The Dolphins of Pern_. The question I
have is: Are the events in some of the other pern books more epic? Let me
elaborate for clarity. I liked the books, but I found them to be a little
lacking in the end because there never seems to be any grand, exciting
events in the stories. No major climax to the story. Are the other Pern
novels similar, or are there better ones?

I never read any of the Pern books, so I can't comment on this.

On the topic of _/_ by Greg Bear, I may start another thread later about
that book, but I wanted to ask, for those who have read more of Greg Bear's
books if _/_ represented a One of Greg Bear's better books, was on par with
most of his books, or were his other books superior? I ask because I quite
liked that novel. It was a bit like pushing a heavy item on wheels. It was
a little hard to start reading (mostly because the events at the begining
are so disjointed), but once momentum was built up (and events started to
tie together), it was difficult to stop reading it. If some people would
care to recommend some other Greg Bear books, that would be appreciated.

I haven't read (or even heard of) _/_ (or does this mean Slant, which I also haven't read?), but I mostly liked the Greg Bear books I have read:
Blood Music, Forge of God, Anvil of Stars: these all had some interesting concepts and I enjoyed them a lot.
Heads - short, so-so. IIRC, shares a bit of the same concept at the end as Blood Music.
Eternity - I read this when it came out and enjoyed it, but by the time the sequel came out, I had lost entirely all memory of what this book was about. I have zero recall of its story. It just didn't catch my imagination, I guess.