From: Gautam Mukunda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Seth Finkelstein on 16 words
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:38:18 -0700 (PDT)

<snip>

What George Bush understands - but what all the so-called intellectuals who claim to be smarter than him apparently don't - is that simple fact. This isn't about us, it's about our enemies. Not about what we do, but who we are. The point of Afghanistan was to deny them a base to operate. The point of Iraq was two-fold - to deny them the weapons that might have made our destruction possible, and to make possible a change in the culture that harbors and supports the terrorists. Either reason would have been necessary and sufficient for the war - both were a nice benefit. We aren't dealing with an opponent that wants rational things - we are dealing with a pathology. This isn't about giving them what they want so that they go away. It's about killing them before they kill us, because one of those two things is going to happen just as surely as the tides.

I agree with you, although I'd like to point out that Bush does not have an exclusive on understanding the threats facing our country. There are plenty of people on both sides of the political spectrum who do.

But by your logic, shouldn't we therefore expect that the administration's next target will be the Saudis? There's plenty of evidence that they have harbored, supported and trained terrorists whose sole goal is American genocide.

Why do you think we ignoring them? Do you think that's a wise choice?

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com