In a message dated 7/21/2003 12:06:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> This, of course, was a totally unreasonable presumpion regarding
> intelligence from our British allies, which they had
> strongly vouched for

But of course this statement was carefully crafted. The CIA could not confirm the
allegation so the speech writers found language that the CIA could "live with". So
this was not simply a statement of fact. The speech writer came up with a phrase that
would shield the administration from accusations of lying.