> One of the reasons that people
> like Rush Limbaugh are so successful at speaking to
> the American public is that - unlike their opponents -
> they _like_ the public.  I have lots of problems with
> Rush.  But he loves America, and he loves Americans.
> The American people rather like that and they
> (correctly) completely reject people who believe that
> it is reasonable to say the American flag is a symbol
> of hatred.  You have demonstrated my point better than
> I ever could have.

He loves America - while hating all kinds of Americans who don't happen to be
exactly like him. Rush Limbaugh succeeds by lying to the public, by pandering
to their prejudices and to their completely misplaced resentments and grudges
and envies and greeds. Instead of inspiring them to be better people, he
tells them it's just fine to be selfish, greedy, stupid, ignorant shits.

I love America, too, you know. Liberals love this country - we wouldn't try
to save it if we didn't. It is possible to love your country while being
critical of it. In fact, it's part of the prophetic tradition to tell your people
not what they want to hear, but what they don't want to hear - what they very
much want NOT to hear - but NEED to hear.

William Bennet is permitted to grump publicly about how everything is awful
and going to hell - why can't liberals?

Do Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell love America, after saying the despicable
things they did after 9/11?

Okay, I'm rambling here. It's late and I'm very tired. But don't ever tell me
that liberals don't love America.

Tom Beck

www.prydonians.org
www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never dreamed I'd see the
last." - Dr Jerry Pournelle