> The question I am arguing is the handgun in the drawer for protection, not
> the hunting rifle that's safely stored.  There is no evidence that the
> handgun in the drawer does any good.  There is considerable evidence that
> it contributes to a significant number of deaths per year.

? Maybe, deaths of home invadors. I know one thing,

When my wife hears a sound downstairs and sends me to check it out, I feel
much more comfortable that I have a gun in my hand.

I actualy get to sleep at night knowing that I can retrieve and engage in
less than 4 seconds.

If I did not have that gun what would I do? Call the police every other
night? Lie awake for hours woried that someone is going to come in and I
would be helpless?

Once you have had the experience of home invasion you would understand.

No Gun = No Sleep.

I choose sleep.

=====