----- Original Message -----
From: "Julia Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: Most Dangerous States

> I wonder:  if you looked at *areas* more likely to have guns in the
> household vs. *areas* less likely to have guns in the household, would
> you see a noticeable difference in the crime rate in those *areas*?

That is an interesting, but seperate question.  When I was talking about
areas, I was thinking less of broad areas in the state, but the difficulty
in getting data on units as small as neighborhoods.  My reference is that
the Woodlands, an unincorporated area of about 70k people, has 7 different
official neighborhoods.  So, with neighborhoods in the 5k-20k size, one
would get a lot of neighborhoods in any metro area.

>How about rural vs. urban areas with each characteristic?  (I think that
gun
> deaths are less likely with the same %age of gun owners in rural areas
> than urban, but I may be wrong on that.)

I would tend to agree.  Guns that are used in hunting and are locked up,
with the ammo locked separately take more conscious thought to use than a
loaded gun in the drawer. One can kill someone in a split second of rage
with the other, the former takes at least a bit of obvious effort.

Dan M.