--- Damon Agretto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > assigned to an army.  Or better yet, that should
> > have
> > been assigned to the IRANIAN army.
>
> I'm not so sure that would have been the most
> successful or wisest choices. Iran is not exactly
> popular amongst secular Arab leaders, being both
> Shi'a
> AND fundie Islamic government.

I am willing to admnit that this idea has flaws and
dangers.  I would have limited their involvement to
the Shia south and then used that invasion as leverage
to get sunni generals to rebel.

In any event, it should have been DISCUSSED, if for no
other reason than the simple fact that Saddam, the
enemy, would have one worst nightmare -- a restoration
of the old US Iran friendship.

A restoration that should be possible, with the
Iranian polity teetering on knife edge.  We only do
the mullahs a FAVOR with 'axis of evil" crap.  Instead
of sumo, a jiu jitsu APOLOGY -- for having toppled
Mossadegh and helped the shah -- might do the trick!
It is all (officially) they have been asking for since
1979.

If rice were a Kissinger, she'd have packed her boss
onto a plane to Tehran.  And we'd have toppled THREE
enemies at a stroke.

1 - the Iranian mullahs would have been out on their
ears.  A million Iranian expatriates would be pouring
in with western ideas.

2 - Saddam would go next.

3 - The Saudi sheiks would piss in pants.  We could
tell them "so far - because you are rich and play golf
with our aristos - we have let you have BOTH homes in
LAs Vegas and Jihad against out civilization.  What a
deal!"

"But now you have to choose between the two."

And THAT is the reason Condi Rice never packed W off
to Tehran.  For the same reason his dad stopped short
of Basra.

Orders from frat brothers in Riyadh.

=====
.
.
* Please note.  My email address of many years is changing FROM [EMAIL PROTECTED] TO
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ... (Or else use [EMAIL PROTECTED])