On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:28:04 -0600, Steve Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Damon Agretto wrote:
>
>  > Which of course one should be willing to suspend in order to
>  > enjoy SF. I personally like how they're handling this aspect.
>  > Different enough from most other SF shows that have been on
>  > TV or the movies. Nothing original (and fans of Anime have
>  > seen this before), but no less plausable than warpspeed and
>  > the like...
>
> It's essentially Asimov's Foundation FTL drive, the hyperspace
> Jump. It takes a lot of time to calculate the right settings,
> then the jump to the next location is instantantaneous. It's
> hard to do a space show without FTL, so at least they're not
> zipping around the universe willy-nilly. There are real limits
> to how quickly you can get to the next point in your journey.

it is much better than the original series which took a tragic and
remarkable idea and turned it into a weekly light adventure show with
pretty poor acting.  This series is at least showing that they are
refugees from genocide and are often having a tough time dealing with
that.

The first series didn't crib only or mostly from the Mormons. It often
has general religious  names and beliefs from thousands of years ago.
It was a reinforcement of the mythology of the series that they are
descendent's of a lost advanced society on earth.  Or alternately that
they would settle Earth thousand of years ago and their beliefs would
enter into our history. After the first couple episodes I like most
people gave up on the original BS Gal.

I think it is a reasonable space drive, hyper jumps of some unknow but
limited range,  but don't see how the fleet is being tracked.  I have
missed a number of episodes and may have missed the technobabble..

--
Gary Denton
Easter Lemming Liberal News