Hi Dr. Ramon,

First, I should mention that we soon plan to release a new version of Caret that not only revises the entire mapping interface, but also adds support for the PALS_B12 (population-average landmark and surface based, Buckner 12 individuals) atlas. The software and data are ready, but David is sorting out some scientific issues.

Meanwhile, I think the easiest way to map group data to the atlas is for you to use the map_fmri_to_surface program. It might be available as an option on your Caret Attributes: Metric menu. But for some Linux platforms, the mapper hangs when it is launched this way. You can launch the mapper by entering map_fmri_to_surface at the command line, and it shouldn't hang.

Then, the steps outlined in the Caret4.6 User's Guide and Tutorial Part I (http://brainmap.wustl.edu/caret/pdf/CARET_UsersGuide.03-06.Part-I.pdf), page 36, should guide you through the process. Note that there are two SPM volume types from which you can choose: SPM99, SPM2 in LPI orientation or SPM2 in RPI orientation. If your SPM2-normalized output is in radiological convention (i.e., analyze.flip=1 in spm_defaults.m), then choose SPM2 in RPI orientation; otherwise, choose SPM99 or SPM2 in LPI orientation. See http://brainmap.wustl.edu/help/mapper.html#spm for other SPM mapping details.

We will announce the release of the new Caret version on caret-announce, once David has sorted out the remaining issues.

Donna