Hi Alec,
Sorry if it wasn't clear, my answers were to your two separate queries, not
all together:

To diagnose the compilation problem, you need to dig through the
tut4_update directory that was created by casper_xps in the same directory
as the tut4_update.slx file you are compiling and find all the .log files
(be sure to look in all the subdirectories) and then search those .log
files for "error"

For your problem of not being able to program the fpga, that's where I
suggest running fpga.is_connected() to make sure you are properly
communicating with the FPGA aside from trying to program it. Similarly,
look at the .fpg file vs. the ones that seem to be working and see if
anything obvious is amiss. I suspect a version incompatibility between the
toolflow used to create the tutorial 4 .fpg file and your casper_fpga
python library or katcp library.

Glenn