Hi Jacob

On 9 May 2017 at 14:03, Keller, Jacob <kell...@janelia.hhmi.org> wrote:

> Wouldn’t the not-bonded CO2 have a new steric clash with the CG, though?

I think the CG can easily swing out of the way, since it's now only
attached to the CB.

> And what happened to the radical that was presumably generated?

Good question: if the GLU was (-) charged as seems likely then the
bond-breaking X-ray photon would generate a fleeting -CH2(-) carbanion at
the CG, not a radical.  This would need to rapidly pick up an H+ from
somewhere - but there must be plenty of those around!

> Also, I would think solvent-exposed side chains would be more prone to
> diffusion than buried ones.

Agree but what matters is the absolute rate of diffusion, not the rate in
protein v. vitrified solvent.  If the CO2 is happy where it is why should
it diffuse away?  After all presumably the carboxylate was happy in that
position.

I admit this is all pure speculation, but our map is remarkably similar to
Ed's.

Cheers

-- Ian