As you suggest, it depends on the contour level. Looking through a list of 17
dicarboxylates that I found problematic, there were 4 (actually two and their
ncs-mates) that showed disconnected density for the carboxylate at 1.4 sigma as
in the figure I sent. Going up to 2 sigma, four more became disconnected and
linear (backbone density is continuous to 3.5 sigma). Going down to 0.6 sigma,
disconnected residual density showed up for several more. So I guess there are
varying degrees of decarboxylation, and varying extent of retention of the
fragment.  I have the impression these are mostly on the protein/solvent
boundary, which could explain their disorder, but perhaps would also expose
them to greater concentration of radicals generated in the solvent channels(?).

Ed