From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Ian Tickle
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 6:19 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] peroxy-glutamate?

Hi Andrew
We have seen almost identical density to Ed's for GLU side-chains, with what
looks like a linear molecule (yes exactly the size of CO2!) where the
carboxylate group would be and absolutely no density for the CG-CD bond.  So
it's indeed very tempting to say that the CO2 is still there, and presumably
making the same H bonds that the carboxylate was making to hold it there.  It
would not be hydrated to carbonic acid, according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid : "The
hydration<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrate> equilibrium
constant<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_constant> at 25 °C is called
Kh, which in the case of carbonic acid is [H2CO3]/[CO2] ≈ 1.7×10−3 in pure
water[5]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid#cite_note-HS-5> and ≈
1.2×10−3 in
seawater<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawater>.[6]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid#cite_note-SB-6>
 Hence, the majority of the carbon dioxide is not converted into carbonic acid,
remaining as CO2 molecules.".
Also, diffusion of hydrated HCl in crystalline (hexagonal) ice is apparently
negligible at 110 K according to this paper: "Depth-Profiling and Diffusion
Measurements in Ice Films Using Infrared Laser Resonant Desorption", F.E.
Livingston, J.A. Smith & S.M. George, Anal. Chem., 2000, 72 (22), 5590–9,DOI:
10.1021/ac000724t.  Quoting their observations: "at T = 110 K show that the HCl
hydrate interlayer is initially well localized at t = 0.  The temperature of
the H2O/ HCl/ H2O sandwich structure was then raised to T = 190 K for t = 120 s
with a constant H2O backing pressure and subsequently cooled rapidly to ∼110 K
to terminate further HCl diffusion.”.  Now of course measurements of hydrated
HCl in crystalline ice may have absolutely no relevance to CO2 in a protein and
vitreous ice.  It's known that ions diffuse more rapidly in vitreous than
crystalline ice because the diffusion mechanism requires 'hopping' between H2O
vacancies and there are far fewer of these in crystalline ice.
Cheers
-- Ian

On 4 May 2017 at 11:25, Andrew Leslie