Hi Andrew

We have seen almost identical density to Ed's for GLU side-chains, with
what looks like a linear molecule (yes exactly the size of CO2!) where the
carboxylate group would be and absolutely no density for the CG-CD bond.
So it's indeed very tempting to say that the CO2 is still there, and
presumably making the same H bonds that the carboxylate was making to hold
it there.  It would not be hydrated to carbonic acid, according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid : "The hydration
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrate> equilibrium constant
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_constant> at 25 °C is called Kh,
which in the case of carbonic acid is [H2CO3]/[CO2] ≈ 1.7×10−3 in pure water
[5] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid#cite_note-HS-5> and ≈
1.2×10−3 in seawater <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawater>.[6]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid#cite_note-SB-6> Hence, the
majority of the carbon dioxide is not converted into carbonic acid,
remaining as CO2 molecules.".

Also, diffusion of hydrated HCl in crystalline (hexagonal) ice is
apparently negligible at 110 K according to this paper: "Depth-Profiling
and Diffusion Measurements in Ice Films Using Infrared Laser Resonant
Desorption", F.E. Livingston, J.A. Smith & S.M. George, Anal. Chem., 2000,
72 (22), 5590–9,*DOI: *10.1021/ac000724t.  Quoting their observations: "*at
T* = 110 K show that the HCl hydrate interlayer is initially well localized
at *t* = 0.  The temperature of the H2O/ HCl/ H2O sandwich structure was
then raised to *T* = 190 K for *t* = 120 s with a constant H2O backing
pressure and subsequently cooled rapidly to ∼110 K to terminate further HCl
diffusion.”.  Now of course measurements of hydrated HCl in crystalline ice
may have absolutely no relevance to CO2 in a protein and vitreous ice.
It's known that ions diffuse more rapidly in vitreous than crystalline ice
because the diffusion mechanism requires 'hopping' between H2O vacancies
and there are far fewer of these in crystalline ice.

Cheers

-- Ian