It looks to me that in this norovirus test the phone is acting as nothing more than a camara attached to a conventional microscope. Light source is 3rd party, and the microscope body is 3D printed. 3D printing is cool and all, but it does not scale well.  Antibodies are also expensive to make.  You will go through a lot of rabbits to make the 1 kg needed for a billion tests.  This isn't quite the price point I had in mind.

I agree that agglomeration of fluorescent beads is very sensitive. However, my experience with beads and other small objects is that they love to stick together for all kinds of reasons. And once they do it is hard to get them to separate.  Assaying for virus particles in otherwise pure water is one thing, it is quite another when there is other stuff around.

Personally, I've tried several different phone-based microscopes and the hardest thing about them is aligning the camera.  I'm a beamline scientist, so aligning things is second nature, but your average person might have a hard time. The most annoying part is if you bump it you have to start over.  Image quality is also never all that great, I expect because the optics of a smartphone camera are wide-angle, and you are fighting against that.  Eventually I bought a self-contained wifi microscope for $50, and that works MUCH better.  In fact, I'd say its competitive with the $5k microscope we use to look at crystals. However, $50 is a lot in the third world. I've heard that drugs that cost more than $1/pill are essentially unobtainable in many countries.

I'm still thinking that using the camera as nothing more than a big photodiode is the right way to go. By positioning the sample right in front of the camera lens you will get maximum light-collection efficiency. In fact, one might be able to get excellent time resolution out of the rolling-shutter mode.  That is, unlike the CCD or PAD detectors we are used to these CMOS sensors read out one row of pixels while the others are still exposing.  This means that the whole image is acutally one big time series with individual pixels only a few nanoseconds apart.  It should be possible to differentiate the light from a long-lived fluorophore from background. However, I don't think anyone has tried that yet.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist