>And the point I was trying to make was with unprotected intercourse, I
>pointed out the homosexual population because of the inference of Mr.
>Thacker's comments but, as has been pointed out, it could be
>heterosexual intercourse just as well.
>
>However, I still maintain the stance that the viewpoints are equal, that
>gay bashing (or AIDS bashing) and smoker bashing are BOTH just as wrong
>and personally I place them both on the same level.  Personally I do
>neither as a friend of homosexuals and a former smoker.
>
>On the issue of the biological nature of homosexuality as opposed to the
>choice of smoking, from what I understood there was a biological factor
>that would predict a tendency for homosexual preference but not a
>guarantee.  The same can be said for people (such as myself) that have
>addictive personalities and family history of addictive habits.
>  Alcoholism runs in my family, as does compulsive eating and the
>tendency to "overdo" things.  I smoked for 7 years and quit in 2001.  I
>wonder if the research has been done in the same vein for smokers and a
>biological link?
>
>Hatton

Unfortunately smoking is so inextricably tied up with environmental 
factors I think it would be almost impossible to tease out hereditary 
factors. Some studies have suggested that if your parents smoke you 
are 75% more likely to smoke than if only one parent smoked or 
neither parent. When I did a quick medline check, most of the studies 
that turned up looked at genetic factors involved in lung cancer, and 
included cigarette smoking as a control factor.

Besides smoking has not been around long enough to have a genetic 
basis. Remember that cigarettes only became popular in the 1920's or 
so.

larry

-- 

Larry C. Lyons

========================================================
Life is Complex. It has both real and imaginary parts.
========================================================
Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is done.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=5
Subscription: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=5
Structure your ColdFusion code with Fusebox. Get the official book at 
http://www.fusionauthority.com/bkinfo.cfm

                                Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.5
                                

Reply via email to