A while ago I read a totally rivetting book called "The Art Of
Intrusion"  by Kevin D Mitnick, the legendary hacker who was sent to
jail for his intrusion exploits.    He runs a security company now,
that tests you security and reports back on how well you've done.

He says one of the most common failures of security systems of all
kinds is that they rely on a secure perimeter.    The theory is that
if we keep the hoards out of the city at the boundaries,  that's all
we need to do.   Unfortunately all the bad guys need is a single crack
in that outer perimeter  and tehy can go wherever they like.   So his
hacking attempts usually meant hunting for some hole in the wall, and
once through that hole the entire enterprise was laid out for the
taking.

He'd find a router left online but unsecure by some lazy support
person who wanted to be able to work from home.  Or a long-forgotten
modem somewhere,   and once through that security hole,  there were no
other security blockers and teh whole network was his for the raping
and pillaging.

The lesson we learn from this?    Dont rely on only one defense
mechanism.  All it takes is one crack in that armour and you're dead.
You need to use all the weapons you have at your disposal.   In this
case, we need to use the Regex blockers,  <cfqueryparam,  strong
passwords,  regular password changing,   separate physical machines
for web and database - everything you can think of to make it more
difficult for the  attackers.

That book was a great read on its own, but a real education for me as
a web developer.  i heartily recommend it.   The opening chapter is
highly amusing - where he is hired to probe security at a company, and
at the review meeting where he presented his report,  he said 'yes i
managed to get in and managed to get some unauthorised access.    And
i think you should have done a better job on your applicatoin for a
raise.   And did you know you are being paid less than others of
equivalent rank in your company?    Oh and the profits you're going to
report next month are x xx xx ..   you have a secretary who is having
an affair with one of your senior execs."     When their mouths gaped
open he finished it with the clincher .. "oh and this PC i'm using for
the presentation - it's yours.  Your security manager gave it to me,
along with remote admin access to you network, and i have been working
remotely through your network for the past month."

A fantastic read.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month