> Dave, I have spent enough time in the sales operations of corporations
> to know that it doesn't matter a damn what the board of directors says
> - if the general sales team in a company has a widespread view that
> the product sucks, it doesn't sell.   Or if they dont get the right
> support, or if they dont know how to sell it,   it doesnt sell.
> This is especially true if the sales people have a whole raft of
> products they can sell to make quota.  The CEO can jump up and down
> and wave his/her arms all he/she likes and it ain't gonna move.
>
> So thats why i started asking myself "what if this person's attitude
> was representative of  the general attitude of the Adobe staff?"

Adobe doesn't have a "general sales team". Again, it's a very, very
large company. Sales people tend to be fairly parochial, as their
primary concern is meeting their quotas selling the products they're
in charge of selling. And different products (and regions, and
vertical markets) have different sales teams. So, again, picking out
one guy from Adobe and asking yourself whether his attitude is
representative of anything larger than, well, his own attitude, is a
pointless exercise.

> And dont start talking about bloody LiveCycle.  It was the Adobe
> LiveCycle guy at WebDU who told me that he would never allow my
> company to have anything to do with selling LiveCycle.  I guess he
> took a look at me and decided I wasnt 'the right kind of person' or
> something. Perhaps he didnt like the colour of my shirt.   Even after
> i had told him that I had known the product for at least 15 years and
> had built my career on printed and electronic forms and work flow
> since the 1980s.   And i had known this product well since before it
> was bought by Moore and then Adobe.  (A substantial part of the
> product that eventually became LiveCycle was developed by Hugh
> Millikin's company in Sydney)   Even after he knew I had extensive
> experience with this kind of market, he still slammed the door in my
> face (very rudely too i might add )  so i walked away from the whole
> LiveCycle thing.  I'm not going to plead and beg to be 'permitted' to
> be a customer.

How many LiveCycle-certified developers do you have on staff? Have you
deployed any LC servers? Have you developed any LC applications?
Because you have to do ALL OF THAT before actually reselling the
product. You are simply not going to be considered as a reseller for
LiveCycle unless you've demonstrated a strong familiarity with the
product line, and the ability to handle large customer deployments.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online