Mike:

>[A] there is almost no new development going on in ColdFusion

An exaggeration I think.  Yes, there are less jobs, but mostly this comes down
to the effects of the recession. In times of uncertainty, companies invest less
where there is perceived risk. Web Application development is perceived as high
risk.  I've noticed that the number of jobs advertised lately seems to have
picked up.
But we still have the same old trick by recruiters that tend to turn one job
into what looks like 8, due to multi-agency sourcing by employers.

You have to ask youself why they do that, and I suggest that its because
employers are finding it hard to get the right sort of candidates for the few
jobs they are offering.

>[B] There is next-to no apparent activity in the Usergroups on
>coldfusion, at least as far as I've seen.

I've observed the same thing over a period of 10 years or so.  The Cold Fusion
market is mature, there are fewer newbies out there asking dumb questions.
Cold Fusion is no longer seen as the new fashioned thing, rather the opposite,
even by its proponents.

>[C]  Adobe dont seem to be doing anything to promote ColdFusion here.

Thats always been true (but substitute Macromedia as well) except for the time
it was owned by J Allaire.  Cold Fusion has always been driven by enthusiasm
among its development fraternity.

It would help if Adobe were to make an investment in Cold Fusion, it would be
along the lines of making it more robust and less risky for companies wanting
to invest.
Some attention to incomplete product features (stuff that looks good but does
not work or is hard to use) and less attention to new features unless they are
essential to making it compete.

Cold Fusion certainly has its threats, with .Net, PHP, Python & etc
alternatives out there.  Originally CF had the game to itself and it was an
original concept that helped ignite enthusiasm and help to turn the web into
what it is today.  Now the market is bigger and there is more competition when
it comes to deciding what technology for a new project to get built in.
The new-fashioned technologies get picked because they are shinier and well,
not so old-fashioned.  Not because they are any better.  But building something
in CF will generally get done faster [ If they can hire enough programmers ]
But the opposition too are affected by the same industry wide problems seen by
CF, that is the recession & declining investment in web applications.

Really though, given that CF is driven by enthusiasm, it does not help morale
to have these all too frequent widely broadcast 'Chicken Little' type message
events.
If you feel that way, put together the message and then do a global search on
your message and replace on it (replacing CF with C-Sharp) and send it into the
message boards for one of our competitors. (and then duck for cover).  In other
words, go off quietly and don't bother the CF community about your doubts.  We
all know about the problem.    If on the other hand you come up with a positive
contribution that helps to lift morale, then tell the world about it.

When you are discussing these matters with your friends, remind them and
yourself of why CF always was and still remains a great concept with great
productivity that to this day does things no other web development platform
does.  It is a proprietary platform but which is flexible enough to permit a
wide variety of programming techniques.

>Boy i hope I'm wrong!

Yep, well IMO you are.

Cheers,