On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Dave Watts <dwa...@figleaf.com> wrote:

>> I had an Adobe guy tell me a while back "we're in the IDE and Development
>> Tool business not the server business. I don't know why we have ColdFusion
>> at all."
>> That was a bit disquieting at the time, and I wonder . what if that feeling
>> was
>> widespread in Adobe? What if they start seeing CF as an orphan?
>
> I think this would come as a great surprise to the LiveCycle team,
> which is a pretty big deal in their overall corporate product
> strategy. And to the Connect and FMS teams as well.
>
> Adobe is a big company. It sells lots of products. Hundreds of
> products. Whatever one "Adobe guy" tells you, unless that guy is a
> CxO, does not reflect any sort of corporate product strategy.

Dave, I have spent enough time in the sales operations of corporations
to know that it doesn't matter a damn what the board of directors says
- if the general sales team in a company has a widespread view that
the product sucks, it doesn't sell.   Or if they dont get the right
support, or if they dont know how to sell it,   it doesnt sell.
This is especially true if the sales people have a whole raft of
products they can sell to make quota.  The CEO can jump up and down
and wave his/her arms all he/she likes and it ain't gonna move.

So thats why i started asking myself "what if this person's attitude
was representative of  the general attitude of the Adobe staff?"

And dont start talking about bloody LiveCycle.  It was the Adobe
LiveCycle guy at WebDU who told me that he would never allow my
company to have anything to do with selling LiveCycle.  I guess he
took a look at me and decided I wasnt 'the right kind of person' or
something. Perhaps he didnt like the colour of my shirt.   Even after
i had told him that I had known the product for at least 15 years and
had built my career on printed and electronic forms and work flow
since the 1980s.   And i had known this product well since before it
was bought by Moore and then Adobe.  (A substantial part of the
product that eventually became LiveCycle was developed by Hugh
Millikin's company in Sydney)   Even after he knew I had extensive
experience with this kind of market, he still slammed the door in my
face (very rudely too i might add )  so i walked away from the whole
LiveCycle thing.  I'm not going to plead and beg to be 'permitted' to
be a customer.

--
Cheers
Mike Kear