(Sorry to keep breaking threading. I'm on digest here, and I know of
no way to Reply directly to a post.)

> Keep in mind that Debian itself cherry-picked the relevant fixes
> into a patch update to 0.99.2.  If you are on Debian stable or a
> direct derivative of stable, and have at least 0.99.2+dfsg-6+deb9u1,
> then you have all the security fixes included in 0.99.3.

> Scott K

Ok, cool. In any case, no version was going to install on the old OS.
I'm now up in the new install, and one of the first things I did was
install Clam, and it was successful.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Paul