On Saturday 15 December 2018 10:58:12 Micah Snyder (micasnyd) wrote:

> I was actually wondering about this part too.  You would need quite a
> few machines downstream of your local mirror to make up the difference
> switching from cdiffs for each machine to CVD's, at least given the
> current size of daily.cvd.  It probably is about time for us to fold
> daily into main, and start fresh with a smaller daily.
>
> I do want to say, since I'm not sure I've said it before, thank-you to
> everyone who is making an effort to reduce bandwidth usage.  Despite
> being a part of a huge corporation - we are an open source project
> that doesn't have a subscription service or anything to make money for
> the company.  As a result, we have very limited funds year to year and
> your efforts do make a difference.  Thanks!
>
> -Micah

NP Micah. I am a firm believer in TANSTAAFL, and have wondered why you
haven't gone to small annual fee to help pay for the bandwidth, but
since A, its working flawlessly here, and B, its free, I only have my
freshclam looking for updates 4x a day. So I am a very light load
compared to some I've read saying they are updating at 30 minute
intervals. Since it appears my ISP is also blocking stuff, I could go
down to a daily check. Clamscan of incoming mail, my main usage here,
has only resulted in a .25 megabyte viri/quarantine file in around 90
days. Thats more than good enough for the girls I go with.

Anyone, corporate or private, that is tapping your servers 48x a day, is
flat out abusing the system IMNSHO. Thank you Micah and Cisco, for this
service, I appreciate it.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)