Indeed, Scripted Update via cdiffs is far more efficient until one has
*lots* of machines running ClamAV on one's LAN.  This tradeoff should
be (and have been) documented.

Better yet, the current Local Mirror mechanism should be either fixed
to support cld files (if it doesn't already) or removed (since cvds
behave badly when there are caches). Also, it occurs to me that even
the clds could have official ClamAV cryptographic signatures without
too much work: just put the proper signature for the resulting new cld
into the corresponding cdiff, and then have freshclam copy it into the
newly generated cld. This would allow clds to be locally mirrored while
preserving authentication security.

That being said, "tapping" ClamAV servers even 48 times per day via
freshclam *doesn't* use 48 times the bandwidth compared to once per day
unless the central database really is updated that often. Most of the
hits pull only a few bytes saying that there is nothing new to download.

-pk