Your friend can turn off the transmitter either through software or a
physical switch.  Commercial vessels will see you on radar, but with AIS
they can hail you by name.  Other boaters with AIS can see you if you are
transmitting.  Sometimes it nice to be able to see a buddy on AIS and hail
them.

Joel

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Dave S via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> I sail out of Whitby, Near Toronto, North shore of lake ON.  North shore
> is Canada, south shore is USA, upstate NY.  For boaters on both sides, the
> 35nm crossing is a routine weekend cruise, probably been like this for 100
> years or more.
>
> A neighbour at my marina installed an AIS transmitter and now gets
> regularly stopped by the US coastguard when the US shore is approached, the
> AIS presumably identifying his CS36 as a foreign invader and potential
> threat to national security.
>
> I'll stay stealthy I think... ;-)
>
> Dave
>

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 15:00:44 +0000
> From: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
> To: "C&C List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> Subject: Re: Stus-List AIS VHF
>
> It looks like the HS-35 is the wireless handset for the RS-35?  It looks
> like a nice setup.
>
> Do you think that having the AIS transmit is that important?  What have
> mariners been doing for thousands of years?  Sometimes all this automation
> seems to make us let aware and more careless.  Auto-helms that drive
> straight into navaids.  Volvo Ocean racers that run across well marked
> reefs.  I foresee small boats getting run over by big boats because they
> thought the big boat would see their AIS.
>
> I read and article (IIRC - BoatUS) years ago about proposed legislation
> which would mandate any boat equipped with AIS to have it on and
> transmitting.  You know for our own safety.  I don't mind the ability to
> transmit my location but the proposition of a mandate is enough to keep me
> from buying.
>
> Josh Muckley
> S/V Sea Hawk
> 1989 C&C 37+