Also if you have radar, you are legally required to use it in poor visibility.
Joe
Coquina

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Josh Muckley
via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:34 PM
To: C&C List
Cc: Josh Muckley
Subject: Re: Stus-List AIS VHF

Bill your ability to recall and cite information is remarkable!

This text is similar to that of the regulations for VHF radios - Must be on and
monitoring 16.

Josh

On Oct 27, 2016 3:11 PM, "Bill Bina - gmail via CnC-List"

6. When must AIS be in operation? Vessels equipped with AIS (either by
mandatory carriage or voluntarily) must abide by the requirements set forth in
33 CFR
164.46(d)<http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=AISRequirementsRev#Operations>
and should especially ensure their AIS is in properly installed, using an
assigned MMSI, and, that its data is accessible from the primary conning
position of the vessel. Also, that it be in 'effective operating condition',
which entails the continuous operation of AIS and the accurate input and upkeep
of all AIS data parameters (see USCG AIS Encoding
Guide<http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/AIS/AISGuide.pdf>) during all times that
the vessel is navigating (underway or at anchor), and, at least 15 minutes
prior to unmooring, in U.S. navigable waters (as defined in 33 CFR
2.36<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=8ce9de702cf895bec7bde7706fb6a95a&mc=true&node=se33.1.2_136&rgn=div8>).
 Should continual operation of AIS compromise the safety or security of the
vessel or where a security incident is imminent, the AIS may be switched off.
This action and the reason for taking it must be reported to the nearest U.S.
Captain of the
Port<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=1355ca17fe5cef9f547f90ffed6800e5&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title33/33cfr3_main_02.tpl>
 or Vessel Traffic
Center<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=72dd2b28614391a354f4461de9cf63f1&r=PART&n=33y2.0.1.6.30#se33.2.161_112>
 and recorded in the ship's logbook. The AIS should return to continuous
operation as soon as the source of danger has been mitigated.

Bill Bina