I am almost done tightening the toerail nuts on my 35-2. I have been doing
it mostly alone from below, using a wrench and a flashlight. I start to
tighten the nut while watching the screw threads carefully for movement, If
they don't move, I tighten until snug with a small wrench or 1/4" drive
socket where wrench access was awkward. I had all but one of the port side
work this way, and all but about 10 on the starboard side tighten without
moving the machine screw at all. As soon as movement is detected, I marked
the spot with tape and moved on, coming back with a helper to hold the
screw from above.

In one case, the threads had galled and I had to jam a wrench into place
below, then use a 3/8" ratchet and philips bit to remove the screw, chase
threads with a tap/die, and re-insert with new butyl on the screw. One
screw at the aft end of the toerail was at an extreme angle so I re-drilled
to allow it to sit straight. I still have the anchor locker to complete,
and will run a hose over everything when I'm done.  I also tightened
anything else as I went along - stanchions, cleats, genoa track. etc.

Most toe rail nuts would take about 1/2 to 1 full turn before being tight
with a small wrench.
--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com