Jim,

As others have said, the "conventional wisdom" here on the list is NOT to
pull the toe rail.  It is also the collective opinion that overtightening
the bolts will squeeze out the original butyl which may result in leakage.

Many of us have simply tightened, but not overtightened the fasteners.
Some have removed the occasional troublesome fastener, added butyl and
re-installed.

I snugged up Touche's toe rail fasteners when I first bought the boat 20
years ago.  Then I ran multiple beads of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack
Cure down the inboard toe rail/deck interface.  It's a milky liquid which
easily penetrates the joint then cures.

When I first started, I put on 6-8 applications.  This can be done in a day
or two since the stuff cures fairly quickly.

Over the next few years, It was part of my spring maintenance to add a bead
or two.  Now I do it every 2-3 years.  Touche's toe rail leakage is
negligible.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA