I think you’ll find the consensus of advice to be “Don’t do it.”

The hull to deck joint and toe rail on the older C&Cs is a pretty well
engineered setup that will last a lifetime. There are several  hundred of us on
the list, and I suspect the number who have had leaks in the toe rail or hull
to deck join is near single digits.

Basically the joint (from bottom to  top) is as follows: Inward facing flange
on the hull, layer of butyl, rubber rub rail riveted to the hull flange,
another layer of butyl, the deck, another layer of butyl, the toe rail, then it
is all through bolted with stainless oval head machine screws. My 25 has screws
every 6” (IIRC) and my 38 is bolted every 4”. Removing the bolts and toe rail
can possibly compromise every layer of the seal.

If you have an owners’ manual (or buy one from the Photo Album website) you can
see a cross section of the joint.

In almost all cases the recommended fix for a leak (which seem to mostly be
around the machine screws) is to tighten the through bolts about ½ to a full
turn, and apply Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure to the inside edge of the
toe rail to deck joint.

Tightening the bolts is a two man job – the person on top holds the screw in
place so it does not turn (which breaks the seal of the butyl and can result in
a leak) while the person below tightens the nut a bit. Be careful not to
overtighten the nut because you can squeeze all of the butyl out of the joint.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk2 #47

la Belle Aurore  C&C 25 mk1 #225

Washington, NC