On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 09:07 -0800, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:

> I'll look at the jakarta lists for how the OT FUD was handled.

LOL!

i hope you're going to be looking for anti-patterns :)

IIRC jakarta didn't exactly have a good record for avoiding flamewars.
back in the good old bad old days, [EMAIL PROTECTED] used to be a high
octane list with an audience of thousands, scores of trolls and dozens
of committers with huge egos where anything which didn't seem likely to
start a flamewar was seemed to be considered off topic ;)

so, i wasn't really trying to advocate adopting the same approaches,
just proposing that it's possible to learn from our mistakes...

i'll try to explain the substance (of my last point) a little better
this time: if a flamewar is really necessary (which can sometimes be the
case if someone aggressively starts posting FUD which the ASF needs to
address) then it usually ends better if it's done by an outsider rather
than a developer who's regularly on list. now that the ASF has moved to
a flatter structure, it might be better for top level projects to raise
matters like that on here community rather than tackling it themselves.

- robert