I think this discussion does not get my original point, which does
take the useage pattern into account.

When I am at work, at University, at home, visiting friends, I always
have an open WiFi. In most of these locations I also have HSDPA.
At my parents, mother-in-law's location or in holidays in the
mountains or at a nice beach there was always neither WIFI nor HSDPA
and my Huawei did fall back to GPRS. That was slow but it works. At no
extra cost. And no need to find a WLAN hotspot.

So having GPRS is better than having nothing. And my UMTS contract at
20 EUR per month includes GPRS.

I acknowledge that others have different useage patterns (urban areas
walking/driving through the streets), but that is not my typical
pattern. And I agree that having UMTS with auto-fallback to GPRS is
easier to use than switching between GPRS and WIFI. But when I have to
live with GPRS in rural areas anyway, why not also at urban ones until
cheap 3G modules become available for a GTA04.

Therefore I came to the conclusion that it is not mandatory for me but
a nice to have.

Coming to cost, the pattern is:

Network         Speed   Cost
open WiFi       fast            free
paid WiFi       fast            quite expensive (20 EUR / 24h)
UMTS            fast            my 20 EUR flat rate
GPRS            slow    included in my 20 EUR UMTS flat rate

So the result is that I will no longer use the paid WiFi services
because they are too expensive compared to using fallback GPRS.

Nikolaus