On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:02 AM, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> a 3g modem/module/chipset is REALLY expensive. especially if you have low
> volume (that means less than a few hundred thousand units). you pay a small
> fortune in royalties too.

It is true, 3G is expensive and for most practical reasons, probably
not feasible.  In my situation, it's something that I can't argue
with.  Myself, living in Canada, most of the country is run on the
older CDMA network and GSM is spotty at most so 3G isn't really a
priority, but I often get sent to south-east Asia and most of the
countries there run on 3G only networks.
Unless I know that an FR coming out will have 3G, I'll have to buy a
just as or more expensive 3G phone so I can bring it with me.  The
other thing is seeing the North American market bash with the rest of
the world, a big concept that's starting to pick up around here is
'World-Phones' that run on the 850MHz North American networks and
900MHZ networks as well.  At least with 3G, we don't have this
problem... it all runs on the same bandwidth.