On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, David Walluck wrote:

> Ben Reser wrote:
>
> > Well my experience is from seing lots of people ask me how to change it.
> > I don't think there is an objective answer to which one is better.  It's
> > a matter of personal preference.  Which one is the default should
> > correspond with the majority of the users.  Perhaps we need a club poll
> > to determine this.
> >

> I say leave it alone, since it's what the KDE people think it should be.
> Unless Mandrake is going to start unifying the desktop all of a sudden
> and next thing you know we have blue curve.
>
> In my previous email I pointed out some serious usability problems with
> double-click that need to (should) be fixed before enabling double-click
> in KDE. Double-clicking in a tree is much more annoying to me than
> single-clicking on the desktop. OK, so we fix one Windows user's
> "problem" by making the desktop double click, but we create one just as
> serious by screwing up the treeviews, which are used all over the place
> in Windows, not just the desktop, so you can bet Windows users have seen
> them.

The single-click doesn't expand trees is a seperate issue (bug, IMHO, and
I will report it as such in bugzilla nezt time I have a chance ...). It
doesn't change the fact that some things are near impossible to do with
single-click the first time, and doing them a second time may mean waiting
for OpenOffice.org to start up! Much more wasted time than having to click
again ...

> And of course it angers me that Mandrake would prefer to attract some
> phantom Windows users, than to keep th Linux user's it has happy. Where
> are all these Windows user's who said the only reason they weren't using
> Mandrake is because it (supposedly) doesn't have double-click?

The ex-windows users are buying boxes, and don't know what a mailing list
is (you would have to explain it a few times), so there's no way they are
represented here.

> Do you think someone is going to base Linux on whether it has
> double-click on by default or not? I sure hope this isn't the case.

No, they will base it on total usability. Intuitive use (including doing
what they expect) is a big part of that.

Of course, maybe if KDE's (or Mandrake's) theme selection tool actually
gave *really* good guesses for a user's preferences, it would be easier.

Every person I have introduced linux to uses double-click under KDE, and
that's quite a few people.

Buchan