We've been hosting events for those who've approached us and needed  
space.  We've also hosted a bunch of smaller and larger events on our  
own via MeetUp, FaceBook, etc.  Our big debut was a launch party for  
300-400 people IN our space.  CBS camped out their van for that  
night, so we got media coverage in conjunction.  We were very happy.

So, in short, I didn't network around pre-launch (although I should  
have, in hindsight).  I got ourselves on search engines, hired PR,  
just spread the word after we had something to show.


Jerome
______________
BLANKSPACES
"work wide open"

5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea)
Los Angeles, CA 90036
323.330.9505

On Jun 20, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Alex Hillman wrote:

> The problem with ads is that they are not targeted (even when they  
> are).
>
> What we did was spend our resources on being as ever-present as  
> possible. I was, along with a number of our initial co-catalysts,  
> attending as many local events as humanly possible, sometimes  
> several in one night. I made it a point to meet as many people as i  
> could, and then LISTEN before I pitched.
>
> At that point, it was no longer a pitch. I was asking questions  
> like how they worked, what they liked, what they didnt like. We  
> could then draw a "map" of what was going on and what was needed,  
> and set out to help fill in those gaps.
>
> Coworking fits differently in every city and every community. This  
> is just what worked for us.
>
> -Alex
>
> -- 
> -----
> -- 
> -----
> Alex Hillman
> im always developing something
> digital: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> visual: www.dangerouslyawesome.com
> local: www.indyhall.org
>
>
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM, BrianR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Sounds good Alex. We have a google group, I blog about it, tweet about
> it, and tell people about what we're up to. Just wondering if we can
> make the buzz even bigger by using traditional ads? I found that local
> news stories about what we're doing brings folks to a google group
> that wouldn't normally have know about us. (aka earned media)
> Thoughts?
> -Brian
>
> On Jun 20, 1:53 pm, "Alex Hillman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Brian,
> > We've always used a combination of our own google group, our  
> blog, and a ton
> > of word of mouth. Any time we do anything we think is cool, we  
> talk about it
> > online and off.
> >
> > If you're doing good things that people like, they'll talk about  
> it. It's
> > really simple, very effective, and FAR less work for you!
> >
> > -Alex
> >
> > --
> > -----
> > --
> > -----
> > Alex Hillman
> > im always developing something
> > digital: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > visual:www.dangerouslyawesome.com
> > local:www.indyhall.org
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:37 PM, BrianR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I've read some discussion here and there on the list about  
> promotion.
> > > But would like to kick off a thread that puts the communities  
> thoughts
> > > in one place.
> >
> > > How do you promote your coworking space? How do you get the  
> word out
> > > that you exist? Which methods result in people using your space?
> >
> > > I'm interested in hearing from the folks who run community not for
> > > profit spaces and for profit spaces.
> >
> > > Cheers!
> > > -BrianR
> >
> > > carrborocoworking.com
>
>
>
> >


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to