I'm so glad, Sean!
The Sharp can be put on a lease -- in fact it's advisable. It becomes a monthly 
cost/profit center, and you just turn it over to a new one in 5 years -- or get 
a great deal on keeping it. We get them able to take ledger size for 
architects/drafters/accountants on bypass. Not used a lot, but it doesn't cost 
much and good selling feature.

Be sure you have power down the 5 person tables to plug in laptops/other 
devices. (We sometimes use 22" wide tables and attach them with a power strip 
down the middle if you don't have purpose made ones.)
Barbara Sprenger
[email protected]



On Jul 25, 2013, at 7:11 AM, Sean Qian wrote:

> Hi Barbara,
> 
> Thanks for your detailed responses! 
> 
> Completely agree with your first 2 pointers. I will be offering days per 
> month and not putting a restriction on which days members can choose to come 
> in. I've also been playing around with different layouts and I think the best 
> way to utilise the space in the middle of the room is to have 3 stations 
> which can accommodate 5 people each. This gives each member 1200cm X 60cm of 
> desk space which is quite comfortable. I'm also thinking about putting a 
> couple of couches in that space to the right of the first office.
> 
> Most of the feedback I've been receiving is to allow a broad range of people 
> to utilise the space. I tend to think this is a good idea now too. Why limit 
> the market indeed, especially if other people from different industries will 
> make the place more vibrant.
> 
> I was thinking along the lines of a multi function printer/scanner/copier as 
> well for the office. Good to know Sharp offer a solution which can assigned 
> members. That's very helpful to know. Thank you.
> 
> Cheers again for your reply it's been very helpful!
> 
> 
> 
> On Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:57:07 AM UTC+10, Barbara Sprenger wrote:
> Sean,
> As always, Jerome's comments are great. I've interspersed a few ideas below, 
> too.
> 
> Barbara
> 
> On Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:50:25 AM UTC-7, Sean Qian wrote:
> HI All,
> 
> My name's Sean and I'm planning on starting a co-working space for my 
> colleagues and I in a few months. We're all newly registered migration agents 
> and are hoping to get our own businesses up and running. We've been meeting 
> at least once a month, usually at a restaurant, to talk over cases and to 
> catch up but I figure we'd be a lot more productive working together a few 
> days a week. 
> 
> Through a family connection I've managed to secure a premises on Collins 
> Street, which is one of Melbourne CBD's (Central Business District ie Down 
> town) premier street locations at a very reasonable rental rate. I've also 
> negotiated a free period which I'm sure will come in handy.
> 
> The office is approx 90m2, has a large open area, 2 decent sizes office 
> rooms, a kitchenette and a small office which can be used as a private room 
> or phone call room. I've uploaded a quick floorplan I drew for those 
> interested.
> In this space, you'll be doing conventional cowork -- nice open plan layout 
> with just a few breakout/team room spaces.
> I've been doing a lot of research about the movement and am so eager to meet 
> all sorts of different people through the process of having a space, but I've 
> got a few beginner questions which I'm hoping can be discussed and answered 
> here.
> 
> 1. So far, I think I'm going to have 3 membership packages - an all access 
> pass, 3 days a week, and the casual 1 day a week. How can I keep a track of 
> who comes in and when? Is the only solution to purchase/create some kind of 
> management software like Nexudus or Cobot? I'd like to not have to sit at the 
> front desk all the time.
> We found that "days per week" made people feel like they didn't have enough 
> flexibility. We changed it to "days per month", and used "up to..." . I like 
> both Nexudus and Cobot. Our software, however, uses an RFID access card tied 
> to the web app to track usage.
>  
> 2. Let's say the office has 85m2 of usable workstation space after the 
> kitchenette is taken out, how should I calculate how many members I can there 
> at any one time, and how many members I can have there overall? (Sorry I'm 
> talking English instead of metric) Figure 50 - 100 s.f. per person that can 
> be in the space at any one time. You can sell 3 x that calculation, roughly, 
> for memberships, since you won't have very many people in full time.
> 
> 3. Should I concentrate my advertising/marketing towards other migration 
> agents or similar professionals or be more broad? We believe in being more 
> broad -- why limit the market? We feel the thread between people is that 
> they've chosen to live (or work in) a particular area. There will also be a 
> certain type of person who likes your environment. In our spaces, our members 
> range from startups to financial consultants to writers to teachers to 
> counselors to grad students to web developers...I better stop...
> 
> 4. What are some must have things? Photocopier/Printer? Couches? Water tank? 
> I will supply a small fridge, microwave. coffee machine, kettle, tea and 
> coffee beans. We like the Sharp MX series printer/copier/fax/scanner. Easy to 
> use. And we can program in codes for each person. Then we enter the usage at 
> the end of each month for billing. Pretty simple. Fast, reliable broadband 
> with failover is the main thing you need! We also have a VoIP phone system. 
> So we can add a new person on the fly, change plans, etc. Really flexible, 
> but you need a good one.
> 
> Let me know if we can help in any other way!
> Barbara 
> 
> Any feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated. I hope to have our 
> co-working space up and running soon!
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Sean
> 
> -- 
> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google 
> Groups "Coworking" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit 
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/yQTlu6qD1HU/unsubscribe.
> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to 
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>  
>  

-- 
Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to