Hi Bero,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 15:25, Bero Rosenkränzer
<bernhard.rosenkran...@linaro.org> wrote:

> > This is bad for the ARM ecosystem, since it is the
> > only driver we have for NVIDIA hardware, and it has fewer issues than
> > AMD GPU drivers + hardware running on ARM systenms.
>
> What's the problem with AMD GPU drivers on ARM? Just missing
> workarounds for things like the SynQuacer PCIE bug?
> On x86, AMD drivers tend to work better than NVIDIA, so maybe the
> simple (and acceptable, given NVIDIA refuses to join) fix would be
> improving AMD drivers and telling NVIDIA to go to hell...

AMD gfx cards produce lots of visual corruption under Linux on all of
the arm64 boards I tried (including Seattle which has properly working
PCIe), and I have never managed to get anyone interested in looking
into it (although I didn't try /that/ hard tbh)

> > It can be addressed by setting the 'ignore-gpu-blacklist' option, but
> > this requires an explicit action from the user, which is unfortunate
> > and undesirable.
> >
> > Is there any way we can influence this?
>
> We can probably get some Distros to patch it out -- but they will (and
> should) be reluctant while there's a good chance it fixes a real
> problem...

I am not saying they should patch it out. I am just asking aloud
whether we think we have a stake in this, and whether we can
contribute to a solution in any way.