Hi,

On 01/08/2019 08:28 AM, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
Hi Bero,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 15:25, Bero Rosenkränzer
<bernhard.rosenkran...@linaro.org> wrote:

This is bad for the ARM ecosystem, since it is the
only driver we have for NVIDIA hardware, and it has fewer issues than
AMD GPU drivers + hardware running on ARM systenms.

What's the problem with AMD GPU drivers on ARM? Just missing
workarounds for things like the SynQuacer PCIE bug?
On x86, AMD drivers tend to work better than NVIDIA, so maybe the
simple (and acceptable, given NVIDIA refuses to join) fix would be
improving AMD drivers and telling NVIDIA to go to hell...

AMD gfx cards produce lots of visual corruption under Linux on all of
the arm64 boards I tried (including Seattle which has properly working
PCIe), and I have never managed to get anyone interested in looking
into it (although I didn't try /that/ hard tbh)

Presumably amdgpu, and a more recent board? I had good luck with a hd5450 and the radeon driver although in its default configuration it expects to bootstrap the card using PCI PIO. Nouveau is hardly free from failures either, particularly if you happen to be running a 64k kernel.

Given that AMD has been a bit more open with their documentation, has an aarch64 UEFI/GOP driver on their site (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-aar), and doesn't seem to suffer as much when running !4k kernels, fixing it sounds well worth the effort.