Hiya Micky,

I always forget that a reply on this list won't reply to the list. Sorry.
As for margins with columns, I think the best idea is to create children
wrappers within the columns and give them margins — the parent wrapper has
the proportional width relative to the parent, while the child has a set
margin, say 1em. A key part of Nicole's philosophy with OOCSS is that you
shouldn't try to overload potentially conflicting properties on the same
element.

For an example of OOCSS grids applying columns conditionally via media
queries, you might want to check out my site (and the CV linked within it):
barneycarroll.com ; both feature layouts that on a wide screen benefit from
side-by-side info, but read sequentially top-to-bottom if the screen isn't
wide enough to elegantly display that text horizontally stacked. Try
resizing the browser window and looking at the CSS.

On Thursday, 26 April 2012, Micky Hulse wrote:

> Hi Philippe, thank you for the help!
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Philippe Wittenbergh
> <e...@l-c-n.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > div { width: 90%; } /* replace 90% with value in px, em, whatever you
> want to use */
> > ...<snip>...
> > If that is not what you're asking, put a skeleton page up somewhere, or
> a sketch, or something…
>
> Thanks for the code sample! That's very close to what I am looking for.
>
> Is it possible to do margins between columns using percentage values?
> Or, would you recommend using right/left padding/margins on the
> content within the columns (i.e. to simulate margins between columns)?
>
> Also, just in case others are interested in this topic, someone
> emailed me these links off-list:
>
> OOCS:
>
> Wiki:
> <https://github.com/stubbornella/oocss/wiki/Grids>
>
> Source:
> <https://github.com/stubbornella/oocss/blob/master/core/grid/grids.css>
>
> Nice example of flexible fluid cols that can be infinitely nested.
>
> Note: The OOCSS grids demo relies upon padding/margins of the content
> within the columns to create spacing between cols.
>
> > Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but that sound rather trivial:
>
> Hehe, sorry to ask a trivial question... I guess I was stuck/fixating
> on the margin between columns; sorry if in my original question I did
> not make that clear. :)
>
> TBH, I've been doing floated/fixed-width layouts for so long... My
> fluid width layout skills are very rusty.
>
> Thanks again!!!
>
> Cheers,

Regards,
Barney