Sharad,

yes Panchayat is a collection of Villages.

That sent me to search for data / list of panchayats.
There are many website for Local Governance most of them do not function
properly.

however one of them lgdirectoty.gov.in seems to work and there is s
downloadable data out there.
well till one goes an hits is head on the captcha thing.

I tried several browsers but the captcha image is broken.

If anyone can try and find a workaround it will be good.
In the meantime I am trying to send them an email

On Friday, August 8, 2014 6:26:48 PM UTC+5:30, Sharad Lele wrote:

> Dilip, only one kind of 'block', which is CD block (but often just
> referred to as 'block').
>
> But to complicate life :-) there can be several other admin & governance
> levels in between. For instance, in Karnataka, 10-20 villages are grouped
> into a 'hobli' by the revenue department. (below taluka level). Similarly,
> several villages (usually less than those in a hobli) are grouped together
> into a Gram Panchayat. In Maharashtra, gram panchayat and revenue village
> are I think identical. (Just to remind ourselves: when we say 'village', we
> mean revenue village--which is what census uses. Not gram panchayat, nor
> hamlet of any kind).
>
> Sharad
>
> On Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:58:14 PM UTC+5:30, Dilip Damle wrote:
>>
>> So it seems to be
>>
>> Country > State > Division > District > Tehsil / Taluk > Some Kind of
>>  Block > Village
>>
>> Let us first get this ans confirm  if each is subset of the other or
>> there are overlaps and if there is any other item missing in between then
>> let us proceed

              • ... Nisha Thompson
              • ... Dipal Thakker
              • ... Indranil Gayen
              • ... Devdatta Tengshe
              • ... Dipal Thakker
              • ... Justin Meyers
              • ... Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]
              • ... Justin Meyers
              • ... Dilip Damle
              • ... Sharad Lele
              • ... Dilip Damle
              • ... Sourav Sarkar
  • [datameet] Re: Shap... Antariksh Tyagi