On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:50:16PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> I've been contacted by a member of the NetBSD team, who expressed that the
> general opinion seems to be that "Debian GNU/KNetBSD" is a better name for
> the port than "Debian GNU/NetBSD", both because it is more specific about
> what's going on, and because it doesn't dilute the NetBSD trademark. While
> the former is less true of, say, my work, the latter is certainly a valid
> concern.

I'm very glad you bring up this point. I think using the "K" abbreviation
for "Kernel of" would greatly help reducing confusion with the one-true
NetBSD system.

> Of course, this leads to the question of naming things for the ports
> that use native libc rather than GNU libc.
>
> KLNetBSD (Kernel + Libc)?
> KCNetBSD (Kernel + libC, Kernel + Core)?
> CNetBSD (Core)?
>
> Debian GNU/MostlyNetBSD? NotQuiteNetBSD? :)

I've been using the "K" prefix for my (Glibc-based) ports only, and avoided
it for the other ports mainly due to not having discussed this with the
people working on them.

Strictly on nomenclature issues, I would opt for GNU/KLNetBSD, but this is a
decision that belongs to you of course.

On the technical issues (uname, system triplet, etc), see my response to
Guillem's thread.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)