On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 08:21:09AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:

> Which works great, if it's libc-dev that's needed. It fails fairly
> severely, if a specific version of a library is needed due to, say, a fix
> in an included library that also requires a fix in the application.
>
> Not to mention packages like GCC, which use m4 substitution based on ARCH
> to decide whether to put in a libc12-dev or a libc-6dev, for fairly good
> reasons. Of course, as I said before, *most* of those changes are already
> in place anyway.
>
> I don't think I've ever filed a patch using arch-specific stuff for
> netbsd-i386 in the Depends or Build-Depends that did not involve something
> that would have (msot likely) been different between the two. Changing
> the libc is such a fundamental thing that it cascades throughout the port
> rapidly, in any place that it matters in the first place.
>
> Which presents a fairly difficult situation. While I'm happy to use system
> type, when that is, in fact, the applicable switch (and, stipulated, it may
> well be applicable in some places where ARCH has been used to date), its'
> going to be fairly difficult to argue that either port is 'useable' when
> the patches aren't integrated at all. (Plus, frequently, maintainers have
> asked for changes to the patches, before accepting them; thus, what lives
> in a CVS area, which is what I did while starting, may often not resemble
> the final results).
>
> Which is all a long way of saying that I don't see an easy solution, and
> that people are probably right in being frustrated by the entire lack of
> coherence of the 'Debian BSD port' effort. I don't think we even have
> enough people to take a meaningful straw poll (though I could be mistaken,
> of course).

I understand your concerns. All I can say is I appreciate your good intention
to address compatible architecture handling in the best of our possibilities,
and that coherence is a goal that takes time to attain in most situations.

So, be patient..

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)