There are very important technical reasons for these decisions, not only
"nomenclature correctness" stuff. Let me explain.

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:33:22AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> >     uname -s:               GNU/KFreeBSD
>                                 Uhm. I'd have to turn on my box to check
>                               this. I think I may have left uname -s
>                               alone, but changed uname -v to something
>                               like Debian/NetBSD.

A lot of programs tend to use uname for system identification. When they do
that, they're primarily checking for libc features.

- If uname -s prints "NetBSD", programs will assume NetBSD libc and you'll have
  the most chances to compile your program on NetBSD libc.
- If uname -s prints "GNU" or "GNU/*", programs will assume GNU libc. GNU is
  aka GNU/Hurd, and is already stablished. GNU/* is what we've been using so
  far for our Glibc-based ports.

So you should really use "NetBSD" for uname -s.

> >     config.guess triplet:   <arch>-(pc|unknown)-kfreebsd<version>-gnu
>                                 <arch>-(pc|unknown)-netbsd-gnu
And: <arch>-(pc|unknown)-knetbsd<version>-gnu

Similarly to the above, you most likely want to match netbsd* checks, while
we want to avoid them because of not having NetBSD libc.

Anyway, changing the triplets at this stage is out of question for many
reasons.

> >     Debian port name:       Debian GNU/KFreeBSD
>                                 Debian GNU/NetBSD

As said before, my suggestion is Debian GNU/KLNetBSD here.

>                               Debian GNU NetBSD/i386

Uhm.. that (without the slash) would mean NetBSD is a GNU project.

> >     Debian arch name:       freebsd-<arch>
>                                 netbsd-<arch> (specfically, -i386)

I've been using netbsd-<arch> too, for the reasons Guillem explained. Sorting
this out will require long and painful discussion with the dpkg maintainers,
but see below..

> > The Debian arch name is not consistent, because the dpkg maintainers
> > disagreed with the name change, and we didn't want to discuss it
> > endlessly, we wanted the patches integrated to have a functional system.
>
> Frankly, they're probably waiting to see who emerges from the smoke and
> rubble as actually capable of being used as a working port...

.. untill someone "emerges from the smoke", I don't find it viable to annoy
the dpkg maintainers with that. Since the DEB_HOST_ARCH is not that important,
I think we can postpone this for now.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)