On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 06:46:05PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:

> > Untill we resolve this, please take into consideration to avoid filing
> > patches
> > that use "netbsd-i386" in a way that breaks the other port. I've been
> > careful
> > to keep such incompatible patches without submitting, since I started.
>
> A bit late for that, I'm afraid; they're already fairly pervasive,
> particularly throughout the toolchain.

I know that. But I'm not asking you to revert the existing incompatible
changes, I understand it wouldn't make sense to do that. I just ask to not
add more of them.

> Except in the case of things like libc. Which tend to pop up more than one
> might imagine. Unfortunately, it's also true that quite a few maintainers
> already have ARCH logic, and are not entirely amenable to just randomly up
> and changing this because we can't figure out what we want to do.

You can handle libc dependencies portably I think, instead of:

  libc12-dev [netbsd-i386] | libc1-dev [freebsd-i386]

Just do:

  libc6-dev | libc-dev

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)