This one time, at band camp, Henning Makholm said:
> Scripsit Stephen Gran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > This one time, at band camp, Henning Makholm said:
>
> >> Why does the license say that it requires me to agree with something
> >> if that is not what it means?
>
> > It doesn't; you're misunderstanding their use of the word agree.
> > `dict agree` might be helpful here - there are quite a lot of possible
> > meanings.  The license is merely asking you to acknowledge that there
> > may be issues around export controls in one country.
>
> You seem to be saying that I can "agree" with the law even though I
> completely disagree with it, and that "agreeing" in the license's
> strange use means nothing at all. Why do you think that the license
> wants me to do something that according to you does not entail doing
> anything after all? That does not make sense; the licensor would not
> have written the clause unless he intended it to restrict what I can
> do.

Lets refer back to the license for a little clarity, perhaps:

7. LICENSEE AGREES THAT THE EXPORT OF GOODS AND/OR TECHNICAL DATA FROM THE
   UNITED STATES MAY REQUIRE SOME FORM OF EXPORT CONTROL LICENSE FROM THE
   U.S. GOVERNMENT AND THAT FAILURE TO OBTAIN SUCH EXPORT CONTROL LICENSE
   MAY RESULT IN CRIMINAL LIABILITY UNDER U.S. LAWS.

Can you tell me which part of this clause you think asks you to agree
with the law?  Can you tell me which part of this clause you think is
stronger than a 'may' statement?

I am at a loss here, frankly.  I think mjg59 and myself have done a
reasonably good job explaining a sentence in our native tongue, but I
see that we are still failing to communicate.  If you don't see what
we're saying now, can you be more explicit about what phraseology you
are seeing that supports your interpretation?  It would be helpful in
trying to explain it.
|  : :' :                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |