This one time, at band camp, George Danchev said:
> On Sunday 30 July 2006 00:01, Stephen Gran wrote:
> --cut--
> > Lets refer back to the license for a little clarity, perhaps:
> >
> > 7. LICENSEE AGREES THAT THE EXPORT OF GOODS AND/OR TECHNICAL DATA FROM THE
> >    UNITED STATES MAY REQUIRE SOME FORM OF EXPORT CONTROL LICENSE FROM THE
> >    U.S. GOVERNMENT AND THAT FAILURE TO OBTAIN SUCH EXPORT CONTROL LICENSE
> >    MAY RESULT IN CRIMINAL LIABILITY UNDER U.S. LAWS.
> >
> > Can you tell me which part of this clause you think asks you to agree
> > with the law?  Can you tell me which part of this clause you think is
> > stronger than a 'may' statement?
> >
> > I am at a loss here, frankly.  I think mjg59 and myself have done a
> > reasonably good job explaining a sentence in our native tongue, but I
> > see that we are still failing to communicate.  If you don't see what
> > we're saying now, can you be more explicit about what phraseology you
> > are seeing that supports your interpretation?  It would be helpful in
> > trying to explain it.
>
> Ok, the above `MAY REQUIRE' implies a possibility of eventual requirement to
> bla bla bla ... What happens when that possibility becomes true and one does
> not agree with that law and has never accepted it before.

Ah, I think I see the source of the confusion.

The authors of the license are not asking you to agree with the idea of
export licensing.  They are asking you to agree to the following
statement:

As things currently stand in the us, there are some things subject to
export licensing.  If you export $thing, you can either first get a
license, or you may get in trouble with the government.

The 'require' comes from the US governement, not the authors of the
license.  I think we can both agree that the author's assessment matches
current reality, so it doesn't seem worth debating that.

Finally, failure to get the license may (only may, not will, must, or
even 'really should') get you in trouble under US laws, and in no way
affects your status as licensee.

Does that clear things up?
|  : :' :                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |