>>> No, it's plain AGPL v3. But he asks friendly not to remove some code and
>>> then redistribute.
>>
>> Social Contract Section 4: Our priorities are our **users** and free
>> software
>
> Both. Not "users" more then "free software".

And adding artificial restrictions to software that harm our users,
even when it might benefit upstream, will not help either our users
nor free software, despite what might be argued that benefiting
upstream could indirectly help the software they produce.

But, regardless of abstract debates, this is what I consider the most
likely outcome of such situation, if it ever appears. Imagine someone
packages the software including that restriction and uploads it to the
archive. If someone uses the software, it is quite likely that some
user will file a bug request asking the maintainers to remove that
particular restriction, In the case that the developer refuses to
remove the restriction, what I would expect is a flame that will
eventually end up in the CTTE intervening or a GR, because I'm sure
that not all DDs will see such a situation with good eyes. In fact, as
Walter Landry said, there's precedent of such kind of restrictions
being removed for our users' sake, for example the case of xpdf. In
the end, I would eventually expect that the restriction would be
removed. And, even in the unpredictable case that Debian kept it,
Ubuntu, Mint and any other derivatives could also remove it on their
own, they don't need Debian's permission to do so.

As I said (and this doesn't have anything to do with Debian, per se),
I don't think in the end that might be a sustainable business model,
sorry.

Greetings,
Miry