Hello Miriam,

Op 24-03-15 om 21:05 schreef Miriam Ruiz:
>> Op 24-03-15 om 18:38 schreef Paul R. Tagliamonte:
>>
>>> Unless it allows modification and redistribution of this (and we do so),
>>
>> What when the DD who packages it, would package it with the 5 user
>> limitation?
>
> If the 5 user limitation is a requirement, then the license is
> definitely not DFSG-free (and, also, they would have to figure out how
> to manage the contradiction between this limitation and the AGPL).
> Depending on the license, it might go to non-free, though.

The 5 user limitation is something in the software, but because it's
AGPL it's not forbidden to remove it. But I think the developer would
ask friendly to remove a version without the limitation from Debian.

> If it is not a requirement, but a suggestion, like "please, be nice,
> our business odel depends on the fact that the software is published
> with this limitation", then I think they should probably rethink their
> business model, because it is quite likely not going to work.

Not sure, I think it's an interesting experiment.
E.g. RedHat earns money with open source software too.

> And, even if some developer would upload it with that limitation,
> someone will likely file a bug request to remove it, and they will
> have to eventually remove it anyway.

Why?  So far I see it's DFSG-free.

> Keep in mind, from the Social
> Contract, that "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software".

It's about distributing free software. And for the users it's nice that
it's packaged.

But, I am not sure if I would like it to have paid software in Debian,
maybe Debian should not only "free as in speech", but also "free as in
beer".

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl