First, thanks for f-droid - I didn't know about that.

I think the most open platform to date is the Pi - there are only
certain parts of the processor that are kept under NDA. As for phones,
there are many parts of them you will never see released (even
openmoko which is old and I'd like one to play with, but not to use).
So, lets consider how much of Android (arguably the most open stable
mobile OS) you can compile vs finding binary blobs. You can compile
cyanogenmod and you can get the binary blobs for lots of phones from
github.com/TheMuppets. So, what might be a good indication of
openness, might be to look at the number and size of files for each
phone and compare that. Though this might be faulty as this may also
mean more proprietary hardware (that might never get updated).

There is another issue with Android: I couldn't figure out how to
compile it using OpenJDK on Gentoo. AFAICT, you have to use Sun's (not
sure what is missing here, but....). Currently, most apps for Android
are closed source (including Google Maps, GMail, Play, YouTube, etc).
However, f-droid should be a good replacement for the Play store as
long as you're not expecting Angry Birds or other games.

Now, without recompiling anything, you've got a decent Linux base
system you can go from. My stock Samsung Note 2 even has access to
iptables functionality and tun/tap.