On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Celejar <cele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:48:54 -0200
> André Nunes Batista <andrenbati...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> phone users. But even in the case of traditional pc's, many people rely
>> on proprietary BIOS or proprietary firmware for special devices or
>> cards.
>
> I'm never really sure why people have such a hard time with that - even
> without them, you're still relying on proprietary logic in hardware. If
> you're really concerned that there could be something nasty in the BIOS
> or firmware, you shouldn't use any non-open hardware. And for that
> matter, even if you've seen the hardware specs, who says the
> manufactured part you buy really follows them exactly, and doesn't have
> a backdoor?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103470457057356043365/posts/9fyh5R9v2Ga
If you believe him, I wouldn't be so flippent about this. There are
also IPMI issues (I think there's a Defcon talk on it) ther you'll
never be able to do anything to fix because the hardware is closed.

> You have to trust someone, somewhere.

You shouldn't /have/ to. That you currently do need to trust someone
is probably an issue. I'm not as far as Stallman for F/OSS... until
companies can't keep up with security issues, then they've shown they
can't handle responsible updates and need to give up their IP that
people have purchased with good faith.