On Tue, 2013-10-29 at 10:56 -0400, alex.pad...@laposte.net wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I shall want to buy a SMARTPHONE with a free O.S (GNU).
> Many of my friends say to me that ANDROID is a free system, it is LINUX!
> What do you think about it?
> Does it exist a SMARTPHONE with a system DEBIAN GNU LINUX
>
> Thank you for your answers
>
> Alex

Android is build upon Linux kernel and other free software components,
but it relies on binary blobs and proprietary google code. Apart from
openmoko - which sounds great but I could never get to lay hands on one
of those - you could search for Replicant (go see which phones are
already supported). Cyanogenmod + f-droid.org - Gapps would also be
better than running the default firmware.

Sometime ago I had an N900 and it worked great with maemo as well..
Dunno the current state of the project.

But R. Stallman usually says he does not own any smart phone as they are
user tracking devices built in with microphones, camera and motion
sensors. So completely free OS is something yet to be achieved to smart
phone users. But even in the case of traditional pc's, many people rely
on proprietary BIOS or proprietary firmware for special devices or
cards.

--
André N. Batista
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80